Vegan Sheet Pan Fajitas
As a young vegan, one of my favorite meals to get at a non-vegan restaurant was veggie fajitas. This was usually my go to at a Mexican restaurant, but I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten them at Chili’s growing up. Whichever restaurant it was, the theatrics of the sizzling cast iron skillet, full of steaming, savory veggies making their way to to table was the best part. And every time I’ve ordered veggie fajitas they’ve tasted great!
In fact, one time I went to a Mexican restaurant with my family as a young adult and I was the only one that didn’t get sick because I didn’t order meat. Bummer for them, but awesome for me!
So I love fajitas. But I have no idea how to make them on that sizzling cast iron mini skillet. Making vegan sheet pan fajitas is just as good! Satisfies my fajita cravings!
Choosing your ingredients for Vegan Sheet Pan Fajitas
Fajitas can really be any vegetable, but a vegetable that can be cut into slices is best. Mine have bell pepper, Portobello mushrooms, and onions. A fairly simple trio of vegetables. Other vegetables that I’d use are asparagus, carrot, zucchini, and any mix of peppers you like, including jalapenos.
To achieve the signature savoriness that fajitas should have, seasoning these vegan sheet pan fajitas is key. A fajita or taco mix can be used, but I like creating my own spice rub with cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, chili powder and oregano. I feel like the oregano is my favorite part. The vegetables go into a very hot oven and the heat makes the oregano very aromatic and I find it very appetizing.
I like to have fajitas on flour tortillas, though corn tortillas are more traditional. Flour tortillas remind me of getting fajitas in a restaurant, so that’s what I go for. I like to blister them over my gas burner. However you can warm them in any method you prefer.
When I prepared these fajitas, I also made some spiced black beans and fresh guacamole. The black beans added some protein and fiber, and the guacamole added a fresh and zesty creaminess. Salsa is also a great addition to the vegan sheet pan fajitas.
Vegan Sheet Pan Fajitas
- 1 Bell Pepper sliced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion sliced
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 Flour Tortillas, warmed (soft taco size)
- 2 Cups Black Beans (warmed//optional for serving)
- 1 Cup Guacamole (optional for serving)
- 1 Cup Salsa (optional for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Create the spice mix by mixing all the dry spices together (not including the oil).
- Place all the sliced vegetables on a sheet pan.
- Pour the olive oil over the vegetables, then sprinkle all the spice mix over them as well.
- Toss the vegetables with the olive oil and spice mix until the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Place the sheet pan of vegetables in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the vegetables bake, warm the tortillas and prepare desired toppings.
- When the vegetables are done, remove them from the oven. Serve with the tortillas and desired toppings while the vegetables are still hot.