Vegan Cheese Sauce
Are you dairy free, vegan or have food allergies that keep you from enjoying a delicious plate of Nachos or a big comforting bowl of Macaroni and Cheese? This recipe is a great one for you!
There are plenty of vegan cheese sauce recipes, and I’ve tried a lot of them! I’ve tried one with an eggplant base, and another that was made with agar agar and mustard. Once thing those two recipes had in common was that they were not good! Particularly the one with mustard, it was so bad! This recipe for Vegan Cheese Sauce is a real winner! I’ve made it so many times I’ve got the whole recipe memorized.
This vegan cheese sauce is a saucy, pourable sauce. What’s even better is that it has a great cheesy taste! This is a great recipe to make a big batch and use throughout the week. Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheating is easy, just microwave for about 2-3 minutes and it gets back it’s saucy consistency. We make a big batch and throughout the week, my sons can have their favorite lunch, Nachos!
This recipe can also be used as the cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese. Just boil up a 1 lb of elbow macaroni or mini shells and use about 4 cups of the sauce. It makes for the perfect mac and cheese.
Ingredients for a good Vegan Cheese Sauce
To achieve that thick creaminess, the key ingredient is potatoes! Additionally, the color comes from the addition of carrot and yam. The addition of lemon juice add the perfect hint of tang that you’d find in cheese. Nutritional yeast also adds that parmesan-y nuttiness that you definitely want in a vegan cheese sauce.
- Vegetable Broth
- Unsweetened Plain Plant milk
- Nutritional Yeast
- Coconut Aminos
- Lemon Juice
The uses and possibilities are endless for this Vegan Cheese Sauce! Pour it over broccoli, over a baked potato, Tater Tot Nachos, anything you can imagine!
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Russet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots peeled and diced
- 1 Sweet Potato (or Yam) peeled and diced
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth divided
- 1 Cup Unsweetened, Plain Plant Milk almond, soy, or other
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- In heavy bottomed sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions to the pan and sauté until the onions are caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth to the pan, then add the diced potato, carrot, and yam.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover with a lid and then simmer the vegetables for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the vegetables simmer, add the second cup of vegetable broth, plant milk, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, salt, and lemon juice to a high powered blender. Set aside until the vegetables are done cooking.
- Once the vegetables are very tender, turn off the heat and carefully add them to blender.
- Blend the mixture until smooth, (being careful with the lid as hot liquids can add pressure to the blender lid).
- Once the mixture is smooth and cheese sauce-like, serve immediately over chips, pasta, or even french fries.
- Seal leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.