Vegan Butterscotch Chips – Improved Recipe
Here’s my new and improved recipe for Vegan Butterscotch Baking Chips!
My original recipe for Vegan Butterscotch Chips is super popular! But there are so few options for vegan or dairy-free butterscotch chips that I thought I’d toy with the recipe a little bit. My original recipe is very similar. In fact, the ingredients are exactly the same. However, the ingredients’ methods and proportions are a little different.
Now, why aren’t there Vegan Butterscotch Baking Chips on the market? You can find some on Amazon, but buying them online isn’t ideal. There are plenty of dairy-free, vegan baking chips that you can buy just at a local grocery store, but I still haven’t found vegan butterscotch chips at the store.
So, I’ll be here, making my own!
Ingredients for Vegan Butterscotch Chips – Improved Recipe
This recipe calls for the same simple ingredients as my original recipe:
- Vegan Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Vegan White Chocolate Chips
My favorite Vegan White Chocolate Chips, or White Chips, are the Enjoy Life brand. Now those, you can get at your local store! Usually anyway. Nestle also as an allergen-free white chip. However, I like the Enjoy Life Foods brand better.
Do Homemade Vegan Butterscotch Chips Hold Their Shape?
Yes! After you’ve made these Vegan Butterscotch Chips, they do, in fact, hold their shape, and they can be stored at room temperature. You can, however, store them in the refrigerator or freezer. Even frozen, they don’t clump together and get stuck.
Do They Melt and Disappear During Baking?
No! I was pleased that these vegan butterscotch baking chips still retained substance during the baking process. They melt slightly, but they don’t get lost during baking.
Do you need a Baking Chip Mold?
No you don’t! A baking chip mold it helps make the shape of the baking chips, obviously. However, making perfect baking chips isn’t really easy. The consistency of the ingredients after they’ve melted together is pretty thick so it doesn’t drop into the molds perfectly. When I make these, the chips stay pretty chunky. But there’s nothing wrong with that! Baking “chunks” are just as delicious and fun to bake with! Either way, here is the mold I use here.
Vegan Butterscotch Chips - Improved Recipe
- 1 Cup Vegan White Baking Chips
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- In a double boiler or a glass bowl set over boiling water, add the white chips, vegan butter, and brown sugar.
- Melt the ingredients together and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking chip mold, ensuring each cavity is filled. Or spread it on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a thin layer.
- Place the mold or baking sheet into a freezer for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Un-mold and break the chips apart.
- Store in an air-tight container in a cupboard, refrigerator, or freezer.