The Best Vegan Sugar Cookie Recipe
Tender, buttery, and perfect for cutting into beautiful shapes. This is the best vegan sugar cookie recipe for cut-outs!
Have you made trays and trays of sugar cookies like I have? Well, if you haven’t, you’re in luck! I’m sharing what I think is the absolute best vegan sugar cookie recipe.
They are easy to make, the ingredients are simple, and they roll out beautifully. The cookies cut out perfectly and keep their shape. What more can you ask? Oh! That they are also vegan! This recipe is pretty big and can easily be reduced if needed. But when it comes to sugar cookies, making a whole slew of them is never a bad thing, in my opinion! They keep very well in a cookie jar, and if you top them with Vegan Royal Icing, the icing will retain moisture in the cookie.
How to Make The Best Vegan Sugar Cookie Recipe
This recipe comes together very easily in a mixing bowl. I prefer to use an electric mixer with a paddle attachment because it creams the butter most efficiently. But here are the steps to making this recipe:
- Step 1 – Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, so they are ready once the liquid ingredients are ready.
- Step 2 – Cream the vegan butter and the powdered sugar
- Step 3 – Add the other liquid ingredients (plant milk and vanilla extract) and combine well.
- Step 4 – Add the dry ingredients to the liquid in the stand mixer, being careful not to overmix.
- Step 5 – Bring the dough together and then divide the dough in half.
- Step 6 – Roll out the doughs separately between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Step 7 – Chill the dough
- Step 8 – Cut out and bake your cookies at 375 Degrees F.
Then you just have to let your cookies cool and then ice or frost them how you like!
Use my Vegan Royal Icing Recipe!
The Best Tip for Rolling Out Sugar Cookie Dough
There are a few problems you can encounter when rolling out sugar cookie dough:
- How do you roll out the lump of sugar cookie dough after it’s chilled?
- How do you keep the cookie dough from sticking to your work surface and your rolling pin?
- How do you keep the cookie dough can cracking and crumbling while you roll it out?
The best way to avoid problems like these is to roll out the dough PRIOR to chilling, and to roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. You can roll out both halves of the dough, and then stack them on a baking sheet and chill them in the refrigerator. Once they are chilled, they can be easily cut out, then the dough re-rolled and cut out more. You can chill between cutting out and rolling out more cookies.
The Best Vegan Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 Cups Vegan Butter softened to room temperature
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk or other plant milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 5 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Vegan Royal Icing link in notes
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Meanwhile, cream the vegan butter and the powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream until the mixture is pale and well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the vanilla and plant milk, and then continue beating the mixture until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, one scoop at a time, being careful not to overmix and mixing only until just combined.
- If the mixture seems too dry, add more plant milk, one tablespoon at a time until a nice soft dough forms.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worksurface.
- Split the dough into two lumps of dough.
- Roll out the first half between two pieces of parchment paper to about 3/8" thick or to the thickness you like.
- Repeat with the second half of the dough, then stack the dough, still in between parchment, on a baking sheet and then chill the dough in a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Remove the dough sheets from the refrigerator, peel off the top layer of parchment, and cut out your shapes as desired.
- Place the cut-out cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and then bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are barely golden.
- After they are baked, place the cookies on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.