Butternut Squash Curry – 10 Ingredient Meal
Enjoy delicious and comforting butternut squash, married with savory onions, bright cilantro and lime, spicy serrano peppers, warm curry spice, and rich coconut milk.
I adore butternut squash. It’s rich in vitamins, delicious, plus you can buy one, put it on your counter and it will last ages! For this reason I’ve always got one on hand so that when I’m stuck for dinner ideas I can whip up a curry like this Butternut Squash Curry and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.
This meal is actually inspired by Caribbean style curries. Curry spice was introduced to the Caribbean during British Colonization, so you will find lots of curries in this area of the world.
10 Ingredient Meal
Another great thing about this meal is that it is only 10 ingredients. That’s the great thing about curry; you can achieve great flavors without a complicated array of ingredients. No need to over complicate your life with too many ingredients to prep when you can get bold bright flavors with just 10! This Butternut Squash Curry 10 ingredient Meal is also comfort food! Warm and rich and full of bright and spicy flavors!
This Butternut Squash Curry can be rolled up into roti, or vegan naan, but if those aren’t easily accessible, I make quick flat breads. They are flat breads that are leavened with baking powder, so you get a soft bread that takes basically no time to make! You’ll find my recipe for Vegan Quick Flat Breads here.
Alternately, you can always serve this meal over rice. There’s nothing wrong with that!
Whatever way you do it, I’m certain you’ll enjoy this one!
Butternut Squash Curry
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small/Medium Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4" thick slices)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (sliced)
- 1 Serrano Pepper (stemmed, seeded, and sliced//adjust more or less for heat tolerance)
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (canned)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and add the oil. Add the onion and sauté until it begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sliced serrano pepper to the pan and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the butternut squash to the pan and toss with the onion, garlic and serrano pepper mixture. Sauté for about 3 minutes until it begins to brown slightly.
- Next add about 1/4 cup of water to the pan and then cover the pan with a lid. Braise for about 10 minutes, or until the butternut squash has softened.
- Remove the lid from the pan and then add the curry powder, salt, coconut milk, and lime juice to the butternut squash mixture. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and then sprinkle in the cilantro.
- This can be served over rice, in roti, vegan naan, or quick flat breads.